Paris is one of those cities that’s brimming with classic tourist sights and activities – from the Eiffel Tower to the Cathedral of Notre Dame, from a Seine boat tour to a walking tour of the Montparnasse neighborhood. But when you’ve checked off your must-see attractions from your list, you may find yourself feeling unfulfilled. After all, every other visitor in Paris has the same to-do list, so your vacation photos will risk looking like everyone else’s vacation in Paris – unless you take measures to keep that from happening. What can you do? Well, for starters, you can check out one or more of these stops on a tour of weird and wonderful Paris!
- Paris Dog Cemetery – Just outside Paris, this is believed to be the world’s first pet cemetery & is home to more than 40,000 pet graves.
- Paris Cemeteries – Not everyone thinks visiting a cemetery is weird, but it’s not necessarily at the top of your to-do list. In Paris, however, it should be. Aside from all the famous graves in Paris, the cemeteries in this city are just beautiful places for a stroll.
- Paris Catacombs – Although this is a popular must-see item on many Paris itineraries, these undergrond tunnels filled with the bones of more than 6 million Parisians definitely qualifies as “weird.”
- Paris Sewers Museum – Yes, the city of Paris has a museum dedicated to its sewers, and yes, it involves walking underground in the sewers (you’ve been warned).
- Paris Erotic Museum – Despite the sensationalistic name, this is a serious museum dedicated to historic & contemporary erotic art from all over the world.
- Weird Restaurants in Paris – This book is indispensable if you’re interested in odd eats in the City of Light.
This is just a start on a list of the weird and wonderful Paris attractions; we’ll keep adding to the list here, and if you’ve got a suggestion of something we should add, let us know!