Every so often, you’ll hear a story about a hapless traveler getting caught by the police in some far-flung place, committing some crime they didn’t even know was a crime because it’s certainly not a crime back home, etc. etc. And while some of these people are probably guilty of something, it also stands to reason that some places around the world have some pretty odd laws. So I decided to do a little poking around these internets and see what I could find in the way of weird laws in Paris.
Now, many of the laws I found here are actually weird French laws, rather than laws strictly related to the city of Paris – but if they apply throughout the country of France, they’ll apply in Paris, so I’ve included them here. Enjoy the weirdness.
- In Paris, it is illegal to walk with your hand up a woman’s skirt, but while you’re on the Metro you may legally touch breasts. (No word on whose breasts they’re talking about here – could be you’re allowed to only touch your own.)
- In Paris, an ashtray is considered a deadly weapon. (I think that should be especially true if it’s one of these tacky Eiffel Tower ashtrays.)
- In France, it is illegal to kiss on railways. (Something tells me this law gets broken in France – a lot.)
- In France, 70% of the music on the radio must be by French artists between the hours of 8am and 8pm. (Whose job is it to check this, I wonder? That’d be a cushy gig.)
- In France, it’s illegal to name a pig Napoleon. (Now, this one kind of makes sense.)
- In France, if an athlete doesn’t play for the national team he/she can be banned from playing for his/her club. (Because it’s all about country, don’t’cha know.)
- In one French town, a person cannot die on the territory of the commune without already having a cemetery plot. (Word is the town officials actually knew this was a dumb law when they passed it, but they passed it to make a point.)
- In a region of the Rhone, it is illegal for UFOs to fly over vinyards. (Okay, this isn’t Paris, or even applicable to the whole country, but you can see why I had to include it, right?)
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES